Pages

Wednesday 28 August 2013

Life's about balance

Everyone goes through phases in their life, each one so different. I'm currently in the phase where we've got an 18 month old daughter. We both work (being me and the wife) so time with her is a premium, she's usually dropped off by nanna between 5:30 and 6 (usually about 5:30) and goes upstairs for a bath at 7, in her cot for 7:30. So on weekdays anyway, trying to squeeze in as much as possible is difficult for both of us. 

It's times like these when it REALLY grates on me (and the wife) that people can live off handouts and spend all day at home, the people who will get through life never working and not raising their kids (but that's for another day!).

Anyway that being said, I want to run a marathon. A couple of years back I wanted to do the New York marathon, the idea was there but in this phase of my life, I didn't want to sacrifice the time to the necessary training for it. I've contemplated doing the Leicester marathon (or Leicestoh, Lesta etc.) but the problem is again, the training that's required just infringes on my life too much. I run to work a couple of times a week because it's in the morning, I have to leave a bit earlier but that's ok, time loss is minimal. There is a shower at work so I can get sorted there and I bike when I'm not running (lighter days). It all fits into my day efficiently. It gives me independence in that I have my own method of transport too!

The issue is that I fear that I might not be able to compete in such an event if my MS gets worse before I decide I'm going to do it. I don't want to be at a point in my life where I could spare the time but don't have the energy and I'd be kicking myself if that happens. But as it stands I just can't divert that much time away from family and they always come first. Guess I'll just have to play the waiting game. The waiting game sucks...

No comments:

Post a Comment