Pages

Wednesday 4 September 2013

You can choose your friends...

But you can't choose your family. The Parker family have a 'colourful' history, this translates to the fact that my eldest brother, mother and I no longer talk to my middle brother (the forgotten child as we call him!) and my father.

Our extended family doesn't stretch far, my aunty and uncle's family (+2 cousins) are really the only extended family the Parker's possess. There are of course others but again I/we no longer communicate with them. 

From a personal perspective I've now got the in laws as well (includes brother in laws plus their whole extended family!) and I've got my 2 daughters (my little and littlest princesses) and 2 nieces. 

This post drew inspiration from the fact that myself and Dan my elder cousin went to a game of football last night (Monday night, I started writing this and didn't finish), watching an under 21's match of Leicester City vs Liverpool. Just the 2 of us went and we spent the match chatting and watching, talking football and other subjects (can't remember, I didn't transcribe). Suffice to say I realised that the old saying 'You can choose your friends but you can't choose your family' doesn't work. Well certainly from my perspective.

I've chosen my family, those worth having in my life and in doing so I've chosen friends as well as those who aren't family members! Those close ties from youth form something that stand the tests, trials and tribulation of family life. Patience, understanding and forgiveness are something I don't think many people (except close friends/family) would withstand. I spent years a long way from home (in the UK that stands at a 2 hour drive!) and I lost all my friends save 2. My family were patient and understanding about what was happening in my life and have certainly forgiven me for, well, how I had been. To the point where coming back was like I'd done nothing wrong. To my mind I had but it's never been said to me.

I suppose I'm being slightly reflective on things but I always like to look at things positively! Always focus on the positives and to an extent forgive the negatives (some things are of course unforgivable!) otherwise you spend your life resenting others and that's not a good place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment